Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

A twist on the virtues.


I'm always thinking in absloutes, especially when it comes to things like virtues.  Here is a little tid bit from a reading adventure that has me glimpsing at a slightly gray area. 


"Li paused to crouch and slice a mushroom neatly off its stalk with his knife. He held it up for Sakura's inspection.
 
"Can we eat this?"
 
"Umm…" Sakura bit her lip as she stared hard at the little fungus. "Y...es?"
 
Li blew his bangs out his face and rolled his eyes. "You've just killed us. Congratulations. Look, I told you, these ribs on the underside are too far apart. Poisonous, see?"
 
"I see," Sakura huffed. "But it's really hard to tell when I don't have the right mushroom to compare it to!"
 
"Tough. You have to do it anyway." He tossed the mushroom over his shoulder and continued on his way. Sakura gave Tomoyo an exasperated look and followed.
 
"I am trying, you know. But there's a lot of information you're throwing at me."
 
"You said you wanted to learn."
 
"I do. But you could try to be a little more patient."
 
"You can't eat patience for dinner.""


No comments:

Post a Comment